Monday, May 26, 2008

Finished Claw Hollow and Working on One Stone

Well I actually have all the screenshots for the tutorial ready to go for the making of Claw Hollow, unfortunately I haven't the slightest idea of where to post them.

I was going to do it here, but the screenshots and work is so extensive that it would scroll all the way down the page. There's a good 20 screenshots of how I did the area. That said, I'll at least throw out a few completed screenshots.

I did finish Claw Hollow, and then started on One Stone. This is just the rough draft and it's not complete, but it gives a good idea of what it will look like.

One Stone


Here's the section from the design doc with regards to this location...

* Here is a brief encounter with Barbarians, the party will have one chance to convince them they are not Lycanthropes (not sure how I'll accomplish this) but it will be some kind of tough persuade check. Success means they will be able to avoid the fight and also find out that the Barbarian tribe is also suffering the same depredations and attacks as Quaervarr. May extend this as an invitation to meet with the tribal leader and set up a mass battle with Lycanthropes attacking the Barbarian camp and the Party helping defend the camp.

Basically here's the description of One Stone from the Silver Marches sourcebook.

Silver Marches Sourcebook:
Once three great Uthgart Tribes worshipped at this ancestral mound -- the Sky Pony, Golden Eagle, and Red Pony Tribes. Now only the Sky Pony tribe remains. One Stone is a single massive boulder 12 feet high and engraved with faint tracery whos meaning is long lost with the dead tribes. A ring of stone cairns surrounds the site at a distance of 100 yards.

Well I thought 100 yards was much too far for my needs so I shrunk it down a bit. But I think I've managed to at least keep the essence of what was talked about.

5 comments:

Amraphael said...

I like the looks of the area. Nice texturing and innovative use of the placeables! You could, PDF the images and upload it as a tutorial at the NWVault. I did something like it once and it was useful for a couple of fellow mod builders.

Phoenixus said...

Thanks friend,
Believe it or not I hadn't really planned on making a tutorial. But there's this guy over on the NWN2 main boards named Equintir.

Thre guy is hilarious and I like him. Well he is new to designing and has some good ideas and learns quickly so I wanted to help him. But I got so into it I ended up making a huge full blown tutorial on the creation of Claw Hollow. And it's pretty extensive.

I wanted to post it publicly but it's pretty specific on this specific area and I'm not sure if it's something the general public would find useful (well maybe they would in a general sense). I suspect if they knew just how much effort it took they'd freak. LOL

Thanks for the compliments by the way, and for stopping by.

Frank Perez said...

Your outdoor areas are great as always. The screenshot that you posted reminds me of the Infinity Engine areas, but your area has the benefit of higher resolution, greater color depth, and three dimensions. While all these qualities are available to anyone who plays around with the toolset, you are one of the few who succeed at giving your areas that IE look. Kudos.

Phoenixus said...

Thank you friend,
That is quite a compliment considering that was the look I was going for. Thank you for dropping by again.

AmstradHero said...

I'll echo what other people have said and comment that your outdoor areas look very nice! The way you've used textures (and your texture selection) has produced an attractive blended yet patchy look that is often lacking in outdoor areas to give them that true organic feel.

I'd also say that any tutorial (regardless of how specific it is to an area) will be snapped up by hordes of eager builders keen to see how others approach area building. Given the hours I've spent in texturing, colouring and tweaking some of the small areas I've done for my module, it's very easy to appreciate the level of effort you've gone to. Keep up the good work!